2.18.2013

bangkok: wat arun


we visited Wat Arun during our one full day in Bangkok. it's a huge temple complex on the bank of the river, and we easily could have spent another 3 hours exploring. the place just sprawls. buildings and temples and courtyards and statues galore! and it's also very, very tall. my knees were complaining by the time I made it to the top, but the view is worth the climb.

also. wat = temple. and that means they have a dress code. if you show up in shorts or a skirt that is higher than your knees, you have to rent a wrap to make your look more modest. I wasn't the only one sporting a rental sarong, though I did see some ladies bring their own. I think my pink elephants added to the charm of the experience.

Wat Arun was the only temple that we actually went "into" while in Thailand, so I don't have much to compare it with. but it was gorgeous. elaborate carvings, colorful inlay, strands of flowers. it never ceases to amaze me the kinds of intricate detail humans are capable of creating. you can bet I will be visiting more wats when I return to Thailand. [because I will return to Thailand.] but for now, some pictures.

2 comments:

  1. digging Wat Arun and the lovely skirt & necklace xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That a beautiful trip! You are a very lucky woman :)

    Thanks for the love on my blog!
    nauticalowl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...