3.27.2014

raspberry lemon coconut bars


since realizing I was gluten intolerant, the amount of baking I've done has dwindled down to almost nothing. in Taiwan it's rare to find gluten-free baking mixes, and they are always even more overpriced than in the states. so when I discovered this recipe for raspberry bars that uses NO FLOUR whatsoever, I was really excited.


I spent 5 minutes staring at the preserves section of the import store trying to decide what I wanted... then gave up and just bought both jars.

I returned to my tiny kitchen hungry and excited. I pulled out our second-hand food processor to start crushing the nuts for the crust and realized... I only had about 1/2 cup of almonds while the recipe called for 2 cups. rather than wait [or go back to the store] I decided to improvise by using what I had on hand. I added 1/2 cup cashews to the almonds, and 1 cup of coconut flakes that I processed into a powder.


I really wanted these to have beautiful swirls with the raspberry and lemon but they sortof just blended together. oh well. they still tasted amazing. you should also know that cutting and stacking these immediately will result in all your slices fusing together to create one mega-slice which [let's be honest] is only a problem if you're planning on sharing. if you plan to eat said mega-slice with a spoon while curled up on your couch watching Frozen on a lazy afternoon... then you're golden.



recipe adapted from glutenfreeveganlove

1 cup almonds, or mixed almonds and cashews
1 cup shredded coconut [unsweetened]
1/3 cup liquid coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg

process coconut until it forms a coarse powder, then remove. process nuts until they start to bind together, then add back in coconut, oil, vanilla, and egg. process until well blended into a dough.

press dough into a parchment-lined 8in x 8in pan and bake for 20 minutes at 175C/350F in your toaster oven [or your conventional oven.] spread preserves over the crust then return to oven for another 5 - 10 minutes. let cool, cut into squares, enjoy!


these squares are the perfect way to treat yourself! speaking of... today I'm co-hosting the treat yo self thursday linkup with Nicole of Treasure Tromp and Alicia of Jaybird. feel free to link up your latest post below and make some new friends!


Welcome to Treat Yo' Self Thursday!

Alicia | Jaybird

Alicia from Jaybird BlogJaybird is an inspirational lifestyle blog about everything from banishing overwhelm to Chicago coffee shops to easy recipes. It's both a journal and a user's manual for creating a home wherever life takes you.   1 Adventure in 2014: It may not seem wildly adventurous since there's a lot of international travel going on here on Treasure Tromp, but I'm hoping to head west this summer for a hiking trip to Washington state. I've really missed hiking and spending outside, so I'd love to climb Mount Rainier and visit a few wineries.   2 Posts You Need To Read: 1) A Guide To Being Alone 2) How to Banish Overwhelm and Just. Get. Through. This.   3 Words to Describe Jaybird:. Joyous, Helpful, Thoughtful.   Treat Yo' Self, Alicia! I am a huge whisky girl, so I love buying a nice bottle of single malt scotch and savoring it over time. So apparently by "whisky girl" I might mean "70-something grandpa in the body of a 20-something lady".
connect: blog | bloglovin' | twitter | pinterest | facebook | instagram
   

Jamie | ink + adventure

Jamie of ink + adventure Ink + Adventure is a collection of travel stories and expat exploits, expressed through my passions for writing and photography. I share both my struggles and successes as I navigate life as an American in Taiwan - all while writing my first book, driving a scooter and baking in a toaster oven.   1 Adventure in 2014: I'm going to Tokyo Disney this spring for my 29th birthday. [I'm not yet sure how many times I plan to turn 29, so I think this first one should be something special!] We've done a lot of traveling to places to see the culture and historical sights, and I think a touristy vacation will be a fun change of pace. Plus- who doesn't love Disney?   2 Posts You Need To Read: 1) Why I Love to Read Your Blog 2) Some Days I Hate Taiwan.   3 Words to Describe ink + adventure:.travel, photographs, expat-life.   Treat Yo' Self, Jamie! I like to splurge at the import store for a snack. Usually this involves Dr. Pepper and potato chips -barbecue, cheddar and onion, or salt and vinegar [if I can find them.] There's also a lovely little macaron stand in the fancy department store I frequent.
connect: blog | bloglovin' | twitter | pinterest | facebook | instagram | google+
--
Treat Yo Self Thursday Link-Up
     

How to Treat Yo' Self:

  1. Link up your most recent blog post.
  2. Hop over and follow this week's co-hosts, Jamie and Alicia. They are awesome, I promise!
  3. Grab a button or link back so that more people can join the fun.
  4. Visit at least 2 other blogs and share the love.
  5. Spread the word by using the hashtag #TreatYoSelfThursday and I'll retweet your link!

Treat Yo' Self!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...