5.15.2014

the writer's block: international travelers


today I'm handing my blog over to three lovely travelers who have a wealth of information to share with you. I'm heading to Japan this weekend to belatedly celebrate my birthday at Tokyo Disney, so I thought that the topic of international travel would be fitting.

read on to see what these ladies have to say about their favorite international travel destinations, the highs and lows of visiting a new country, and where their dream trips would take them. after, be sure to stop by their blogs and leave them some love!



the basics: Hello, I'm Christina of Route Bliss. While I've been blogging for over a decade now, Route Bliss itself has only been around since the Summer of 2013. RB (as I've dubbed it) is where I share my love of travel and photography as well as what I'm learning on my journey to healthier living (adapted recipes as well as running and fitness tips and grumblings!).

what was your favorite international travel destination? I've only left the United States twice so far, so both destinations are my favorite -- Vienna, Austria & Canada (Waterton Lakes National Park to be specific)

what are the must-see or must-do things in that country/destination? In Vienna, all the palaces: the Hofburg, the Upper and Lower Belvedere Palaces, and Schonbrunn Palace + St. Stephen's Cathedral, the Vienna Opera House, and the Parliament building. If you go during the holiday season, hit up as many Christmas markets as you can (there's one in front of the City Hall and at Schonbrunn; others as well all over the city)

Waterton Lakes National Park has a township in it ... explore it along with the Prince of Wales Hotel and have high tea there!

what do you think is the most difficult thing about traveling to a new country? Customs and security pat-downs and butchering city names when asked where my final destination was by a hot border agent ;)

I was lucky and stayed with a friend in Vienna, so she was my interpreter, tour-guide, and public transportation expert. Thanks to one of the few things I retained knowledge of from my finance degree, converting currencies in my head is a piece of cake -- although if you're not, thankfully there's apps for that now unlike in 2003! In Canada, navigating streets because of their grid system and the crazy numbering in Regina!

what is your favorite thing about traveling to a new country? Experiencing new things, seeing locales that are far older than much of the U.S., and learning about local customs

what is one place you haven't been yet but would love to visit? Right now, I'd kill (figuratively) to go to Tasmania this November. My penpal of thirteen years, Kate, is getting married and I'd love to be there for it if I had the airfare to get there + see the gorgeous visits and historic ruins that make up Kate's beloved Tassie.


learn more about Christina on her blog: Route Bliss

check out a few of her favorite posts:

or follow along with:



the basics: Hello! I'm Amanda the lady behind Rhyme & Ribbons. Rhyme & Ribbons is an eclectic lifestyle blog document my travels, recipes, crafts, fashion, and all other things that strike this American living in London. I try to write with enthusiasm, passion and a dash of whimsy. Rhyme & Ribbons documents the exploits of someone who is insatiable curious.

what was your favorite international travel destination? On of my favourite places to is definitely Paris. It sounds really cliche, but I adore it! It stole my heart in a way that few other major European cities have yet to do.

what are the must-see or must-do things in that country/destination? I'd definitely recommend spending a few days just walking around Paris instead of immediately rushing off to the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre (though those are great places to visit as well!) I'd recommend trying to go on a walking tour of Montmartre. I've been twice and I learn something new and amazing about the history of that very artistically significant neighbourhood every time! My favourite museum is the Musée de l'Orangerie. And of course you have to eat crepes and all other glorious French food to your heart's content. Definitely buy a baguette at a local boulangerie.

what do you think is the most difficult thing about traveling to a new country? For me, one of the most difficult things about traveling somewhere new is knowing where to start! I want to see and do everything, which is frankly impossible, so I've found it helpful in prioritising what I'd be disappointed if I left without not experiencing, and what I'd be okay saving for a future trip! Also always pack light!

what is your favorite thing about traveling to a new country? Well, I love exploring and learning. If I could be a student for my entire life I'd sign up for that lifestyle right away! But since that's not possible, I've found that traveling satiates that desire to learn and to do in me. Also, if you take a peak at my blog you'll know that I love food, so I also love trying new foods and local flavours!

how many countries or continents have you visited? Not counting North American countries, I've traveled to Spain, England, Wales, France, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany (very briefly), and Turkey. 8 so far!



learn more about Amanda on her blog: Rhyme & Ribbons

check out a few of her favorite posts:

or follow along with:




the basics: Hello there! I'm Jamie and I write at Gunters Abroad. My blog documents mine and Van's travels all over England and the rest of Europe. We have a huge travel bucket list to tackle so come and join us as we attempt to see the world!

what do you think is the most difficult thing about traveling to a new country? I think the most difficult part of traveling to a new country is feeling uncomfortable in new settings but I think you can combat these feelings with the right attitude! Just keep an open mind and learn to adapt to the changes. Funny enough, bathrooms in different countries make me feel the most uncomfortable haha!

what is your favorite thing about traveling to a new country? I love getting off the plane and just taking in the sights and smells of the new country. It's that perfect moment where you know that adventure lies ahead and you will be forever changed from your experience!

where is the farthest you have traveled? I guess it depends on where the starting point is! From my home in the US, the farthest distance would be to Chamonix, France I think, but Spain has been the furthest destination so far from our home in Ely.

how many countries or continents have you visited? Not counting the good old US of A, I have been to 7 countries and Van has been to 11 different countries! I need to catch up :)

what is one place you haven't been yet but would love to visit? We both are dying to go to Croatia. Plans are in the works but we just haven't made the full jump just yet! The beaches are calling our names!

learn more about Jamie on her blog: Gunters Abroad

check out a few of her favorite posts:

or follow along with:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...