10.05.2015

a reflection on the Mirror Lakes

Mirror Lakes | the road to Milford Sound, Fiordland, New Zealand

let me tell you an honest story about our journey to Mirror Lakes.

our road trip through New Zealand had been going for over a week, and the strain of moving locations every few days was starting to show. we had been driving from Queenstown since early morning, stopped for an afternoon boat tour and an extremely disappointing lunch in Te Anau. I was tired of being jammed in a car for hours, feeling nauseous on the winding roads, without cell service, wondering if we had enough gas to make it back, and trying to determine just how hangry I should let myself get before busting into my limited snack supply. there were moments I even wondered whether making the trip out to Millford Sound was going to be worth it


by the time we reached the first scenic stop on the Milford Road, I was about ready to scream. but instead I stepped out of the car and took a deep breath. looked around. and realized that a little carsickness and 7 hours of driving was a small price to pay for the beauty of the fiordlands.

from there on out it was a face full of smiles, a hand full of cameras, and a heart full of wonder.

Mirror Lakes | the road to Milford Sound, Fiordland, New Zealand
Mirror Lakes | the road to Milford Sound, Fiordland, New Zealand
Mirror Lakes | the road to Milford Sound, Fiordland, New Zealand

I don't think it's necessary for me to explain why this area along the road to Milford Sound is named the Mirror Lakes. nor for me to tell you how calm and peaceful this area was, how gorgeous the late afternoon sun peeking over the mountains was. how I didn't really mind being blinded by the reflections off the water, or that my camera settings went completely whacked.

reflection on Mirror Lakes | the road to Milford Sound, Fiordland, New Zealand

driving into the fiordlands of southern New Zealand, you'll encounter more stunning views than it seems right for any corner of the world to hold. I admit it's a long journey to get there. few ever do.

but it was worth it for me at least - this was the point in our trip where I learned to stop caring that it took twice as long to get where we were going, and just enjoy the ride.


linking up for Travel Tuesday with Bonnie, Lauren and Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...